In 1824, the Rohtak district was formed as a separate unit consisting of Gohana, Kharkhauda-Mandothi, Rohtak- Beri and Meham -Bhiwani tahsils. The Bahadurgarh territory formed its eastern and Jhajjar its southern boundary. Until 1832, the whole area, including Rohtak, was under the Resident at Delhi; but when in that year it was brought under the same regulations as the rest of North India, the Resident became Commissioner. The district was abolished in A.D. 1841, Gohana going to Panipat and the rest of the tahsils to Delhi; but in the very next year it was created again. The two districts of Rohtak and Jhajjar together with the rest of the Delhi and Hissar divisions were detached from North-Western Provinces after 1857 and passed to the Punjab by the Goverment of India Notification No. 606 of the 13th April, 1858.
Rohtak district experienced several changes before assuming its final form.
The Bahadurgarh estates were added to the Sampla tahsil, five detached villages to the east, going to Delhi. Jhajjar, including some areas of Narnaul, Kanaudh (present Mahendragarh) and Dadri was first created as a new district but was abolished shortly after wards in 1860 when large parts of it were assigned to the Phulkian chiefs as a reward for their services. While the Jhajjar tahsil was added to Rohtak, several Badli villages were transferred either to Delhi or Gurgaon, and two detached Jhajjar estates were given to the Raja of Jind. In the following year, the Meham tahsil was abolished and after making necessary territorial adjustments in favour of Hissar and Delhi; rest of the area was added to the Rohtak tahsil. All these changes were completed by the Ist July. The Rohtak district remained a part of the Hissar division until 1884. On the abolition of the Hissar division in 1884.
It consisted of four tahsils;Rohtak, Gohana, Jhajjar and Sampla but in April, 1910, the Sampla tahsil was abolished for reasons of administrative economy, and its area was divided between the Rohtak and Jhajjar tahsils. The Sonipat tahsil which had remained attached to the Delhi district since 1861, was added to Rohtak district in September, 1912, on the separation of Delhi territory from Punjab2. The district was then attached to the Ambala division. In 1948, Dujana State was merged in Jhajjar tahsil and new sub-tahsil of Nahar was created. By March 31, 1966, the Rohtak district was sub-divided into 4 tahsils, namely,Sonipat, Rohtak, Jhajjar and Gohana and a sub-tahsil of Nahar. The sub-divisions were created at Rohtak Sonipat, Gohana and Jhajjar. The major territorial changes were made when Sonipat district was carved out of Rohtak district by taking Sonipat and Gohana tahsils on December22, 1972. Gohana sub-division of Sonipat district was included in the Rohtak district3. Beri and Badli.